Moussaka is delicious and comforting… This dish from Greece is a pure delight for all those who love tasty and authentic gratins. Minced meat (lamb or beef), aubergines, tomatoes, béchamel… This recipe (in text or video) as easy as it is good will quickly become one of your classics!
- For the moussaka:
- 250g minced meat (lamb or beef)
- 4 eggplants
- 4 tomatoes
- 1 onion
- 1/2 of a clove of garlic
- a few sprigs of chives
- olive oil
- 1/4 liter of water
- grated cheese (gruyere or mozzarella)
- salt pepper
- For the bechamel:
- 1/2 liter of milk
- 40g butter
- 2 tbsp. flour
- 1 nutmeg
- Preparation20 mins
- Cooking35 mins
- Rest10 minutes
- 1.Cut the aubergines into thin slices then put them in a container, salt and let them drain for 5 minutes. Rinse them, wring them out and fry them in 4 tbsp. tablespoons olive oil until golden brown. Then put them in a dish lined with a paper towel to remove excess oil.
- 2.Prepare the bechamel sauce: heat the butter in a saucepan and add the flour. Mix with a wooden spatula then add the cold milk gradually, stirring constantly with a whisk. Season with salt and pepper, and grate the nutmeg.
- 3.Prepare the meat and the sauce: cook in 1 tbsp. tablespoons of olive oil the minced meat with the finely chopped onion, the garlic, the peeled and diced tomatoes, as well as the chopped chives. Add the water. Salt and pepper to taste and cook for 10 minutes.
- 4.Preheat the oven th.6 (180°C). Take a baking dish and brush it with olive oil. Arrange the eggplant slices next to each other to make a layer, cover with meat and tomato sauce, then cover with a layer of eggplant and so on until the end, finish with eggplant. Cover everything with the bechamel sauce and grated cheese all over the dish and put a few knobs of butter. Bake for 25 mins.
- 5.Leave to rest then serve hot with a timbale of rice or a well-seasoned salad.
The authentic recipe is prepared with ground lamb, but it is quite possible to replace it with beef. And moussaka can also become an excellent vegetarian dish if you don’t put meat in it. You choose!